Friday, October 27, 2006

Neighbors


Scott base is the Kiwi (New Zealand) research facilities located just 1.5 miles from McMurdo. We can hike there anytime we want, but aren't supposed to be in their facilities unless invited. Every Thursday is American night when they invite everyone from McMurdo over to hang out at their bar. So last night many of us took the shuttle over to visit the neighbors. With only 150 Kiwis living there during their summer season, we came close to doubling their population. It was a fun evening as I met several more people from McMurdo and Poleys that I hadn't run into, yet. I was also able to get rid of some of my Kiwi money buying the NZ beer Tui.

I met Megan who is here from U of Nebraska filming the Andrill project for education in elementary schools. She showed part of her footage and it was amazing! She had interviewed kids from a New York City elementary school regarding how they would overcome the obstacles of the Adrill project. They had just pulled their first core and she also showed us footage of that. I like keeping educated on the science that is going on here as it keeps me focused on what I'm supporting by working here. If you're curious about the Andrill project and the amazing technology and multi-country efforts check out http://www.andrill.org/. You can also find more information on the school kids’ project.

My friends at the bar said that I needed to drink more because I was talking science and wanted to leave the bar to see the geeky science lecture. I had to do a double take because it sounded like my sister was talking to me.

No comments: